For much of the UK workforce, today is the first day back at work after the Christmas break. If you were tossing and turning last night worrying about work, or filled with a feeling of dread when you thought about stepping back into your workplace or turning on your computer, it might be time to look for a new job.
January is a great time for a fresh start and there is usually a wave of new roles as the new year begins.
If you feel ready to move on, don’t forget that job hunting can be a drawn out process. Here is a breakdown of the main steps involved and how you can keep the process moving…
- Update your CV/profile. Not everyone asks for a CV these days but it can’t hurt to make sure yours is up to date with all your latest contact details and employment history. Make sure you have filled in as many details as possible on your NexJob profile to help employers find you.
- Find out what’s out there. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs available through NexJob. Take a look at the ones in your area on the map screen or search by job title or company name. Set up alerts so that as soon as your dream job comes up, you know about it.
- Applying for jobs - and waiting for a response. Applying for jobs - especially if there are a few you want to go for - can take a long time, unless they’re Quick Apply jobs which can be done in minutes. Set aside plenty of time to complete and double check your applications before you submit them. Then it’s a waiting game until you hear back…
- The interview process. These days the interview process can be anything from an online interview to in-person second and third interviews, psychometric testing and assessment centres. If you are invited for an interview, make sure you have done your research on the company and are ready to explain what value you could add.
- Your notice period. Make sure you know the length of your notice period to tell your new employers if they want to offer you the job. You may well start the onboarding process at your new company while you’re working your notice period so keep an eye out for communication from them.
So don’t delay, start your job hunt today! Head over the job search in NexJob to get started.