The headlines have been full of redundancies over the last few weeks. Everyone from Facebook owner Meta and the Royal Mail to schools and the Co-op, plus many others besides, have either already announced redundancies or have job cuts looming.
Receiving news of redundancy during a cost-of-living crisis is obviously very worrying. However there are vacancies out there, particularly over Christmas if you're looking for something to tide you over at this expensive time of year.
If you find yourself being made redundant and looking for a new role, start by taking a look at all the roles available through the jobs section of NexJob - there are currently more than quarter of a million.
Here's a rundown of some of the companies who are hiring for the festive period:
- Sainsbury's has created 18,000 seasonal roles all around the UK which covers 15,000 in Sainsbury's stores, 2,000 in Argos and 1,000 in logistics. The store jobs will involve serving customers, stocking shelves and picking, packing and delivering online orders. The logistics colleagues will work in warehouses and make sure products arrive where they're needed for customers. Sainsbury's has announced two pay rises this year to help staff cope with the rising cost of living and is committed to offering industry-leading rates of pay.
- Poundland is hiring 1,200 Christmas staff to work in stores across UK and Ireland. The temporary shop floor roles will end on Christmas Eve but there is a possibility that some people may be taken on permanently where roles are available. Poundland is handing out £25 vouchers to spend in store for its 18,000 colleagues as a Christmas thank you.
- Tesco is hiring 15,000 temporary members of staff over Christmas, mainly to work in its Superstores and Extras for either early morning, day or evening shifts. There may be opportunities for Christmas colleagues to apply for permanent roles in Tesco stores once the seasonal period comes to an end. The rate of pay is £10.30 per hour.
- Boots is hiring 10,000 workers for its stores around the UK, warehouses and back offices with both full-time and part-time roles available. Again, although they are temporary positions, permanent roles could follow for some workers.
- Waitrose and John Lewis are also recruiting for more than 10,000 seasonal positions which includes 4,000 roles at for Waitrose shops around the UK including supermarket assistants, night shift workers and customer delivery drivers, plus 2,000 for John Lewis stores.
- Domino's is hiring 10,000 staff members to cover the Christmas period. There is a variety of roles available, whether you're just looking for seasonal work, or to kick-start a new career, including drivers, riders and store workers. Domino's sells seven pizzas every minute and this is expected to increase with Christmas and the World Cup on the way.
For more information, head to the companies' websites or search jobs near you in the NexJob app.